[geeks] IBM to offer Solaris on it's servers...

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 01:53:47 CDT 2007

Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
>> I'm not saying it's a bad idea for the end-user.  I'm saying it's a
>>  bad idea for IBM.
>
> Why do you think so? My understanding of IBM's position was: "We'll
> do anything to get you to buy our hardware." That's why they
> virtualize Linux under z/OS, and why they offer Windows, Linux, and
> now Solaris on their x86 servers.
>
> Am I wrong? Please enlighten me if so.

More like, we'll do anything for you to buy our IT and business
services. They'll make a shitload more per unit on AIX consulting than
on Solaris consulting. Other than much smaller fish, they're the only
game in town for AIX consulting. Their desire to sell high-profit
consulting services is the same reason why they sell Oracle on z/OS.
There really isn't really any other platform left on which Oracle scales
up that big, and IBM is the place to go for z/OS consulting services.
They have their own product for that market in DB2, but they don't
really care since they make said shitload of money on consulting fees,
no matter which database the customer chooses.

Peace...  Sridhar