[geeks] Newspaper Web Sites

Thu Aug 16 23:08:39 CDT 2007

> IE does some of the most stupid things I've ever seen.

> One of the most annoying is that for some markup, if you leave a
> space after the end tag, it puts that space in the output.

> To avoid it, you have to do stupid crap like this:

> 	<SOMETAG>
> 		blah blah blah blah
> 	</SOMETAG><NEWTAG>
> 		blah blah blah
> 	</NEWTAG>

> If you don't butt the end/start tags together, IE outputs spaces
> there.

This is a bug?  Seems to me that's how it should work.  You have
whitespace between <SOMETAG> and blah, you get a space there.  You have
whitespace between </SOMETAG> and <NEWTAG>, you get a space *there*.

The alternatives are either to have tags eat whitespace on one or both
sides, which requires kludges to permit having just whitespace (as
opposed to zero characters) in some places, or to have some tags eating
whitespace and some not, which is a usability disaster.

...hmm, which means that last is probably what they picked. :-~

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca