[geeks] ebay

kevin at pipeline.com kevin at pipeline.com
Thu Aug 16 12:23:23 CDT 2007

It is allowable as far as eBay itself is concerned, almost entirely because they have no way of enforcing any rule otherwise.

It is, and should always be, allowable to cancel an auction if the item is no longer available (broken, stolen and so on) or if you made a mistake during the initial listing.  Aside from this, it is VERY poor practice and is not looked upon well at all.  If eBay could disallow it, they would, but people would always just say that the item was broken or something similar and eBay would obviously have no way to actually verify that.

If it is done in order to sell it via an outside deal, that is technically "fee avoidance" and against eBay's terms.  Here eBay is going on teh assumption that your outside buyer found your item via eBay and thus you are using eBay for marketing purposes only and avoiding Final Value Fees.  Once again though, no way to prove this.

You can file a complaint if you'd like.  eBay has very recently made some changes to their seller standards where if a seller gets a certain number of complaints within a specified time frame, there will be repercussions to some degree.

It sucks, but there are jackasses out there who do stuff like this when they see that their item may sell for much less than they had anticipated.

/KRM