[geeks] Whats the verdict - vmware fusion or parallels?

Hicheal Morton mh1272 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 09:45:57 CDT 2007

On 8/15/07, Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 03:31:48AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

<snip>

Thanks for the good advice, vmware seems to be the clear winner here,
> when recommended by such an obvious parallels power user.
> My subjective experience of the difference in CPU usage (watching
> menu-meters!) tends to indicate parallels is a heavier CPU user.
>
> Its interesting that you don't mention bootcamp. The only reason I
> require 'real' windows is for brain dead support staff at
> $WORK/$CLIENTS, who refuse to touch os x, so I can't get rid of it, but
> currently I waste 30GiB for a bootcamp partition, and 22GiB for a vmware
> image (=52GiB out of a 120GB laptop harddrive). Having good support to
> run the bootcamp partition in a VM is a great way to save some of that
> space. However, vmware fusion still bluescreens every time I try to boot
> my bootcamp partition, for me parallels has none of those problems.
>
> Cheers,
> Jonathan.
> </snip>

Jonathan,

Did I read this correctly?

You created a bootcamp partition (that works properly).
You can access this bootcamp parition through parallels and it works
properly.
You can use this same partition at boot time with bootcamp or after MacOS
has booted normally with the use of parallels.

Is this correct?  Please let me know--this is information that I can use!

If so, it is applicable to my situation.  No power-user needs; I just need
to run one or two Windows programs.  The program is specialized with limited
sales potential so there is no comparable Mac or Linux program.  Because of
its limited sales, the program is expensive--MSRP = $$Black
MacBook--academic discount = $$White MacBook.

Thank you!

Hike