[geeks] Microsoft Excel

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 10 21:19:38 CDT 2007

>From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/08/10 Fri PM 01:34:46 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] Microsoft Excel

>For various reasons, I need to use a non-printable character as a
>delimiter in a text file.  I thought ASCII fs (0x1c) would probably be a
>good choice.  It works fine in my scripts and it's easy to generate in
>Servlets.
>
>The problem is that I can't convince fucking Microsoft Excel to import
>files delimited with fs.  I can't seem to even figure out how to get an
>fs character into the clipboard so that I can try pasting it in the
>dialog box.

Can you call up a file with an 0x1c in it you can cut,then paste into the import routine as your delimiter? I suspect Excel won't accept any characters under 0x20 (space character), based on other notes regarding MS Word.

Just a thought, but Excel can be fed with a database as a source, could you pipe your text file into a database, for use by Excel users? (may not be plausable if read/write access needed).

Any idea if you could have a macro execute when the file is opened? Just tossing ideas out at this point...

Lionel