[geeks] *sigh*

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Fri Aug 10 13:24:40 CDT 2007

> Is NetBSD 4.0 ever going to be released?  It should have been
> out for months by now.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

I'm sorry, but although I always wanted to be excited about the BSD's,
I've never been. Linux has benefited from the same energy that drove
Microsoft Windows to it's current acceptance levels. It has a large body
of useful software and a large following of people who are both
knowlegable and willing to help.

On a scale of "useless trash" to "done right" I personally rank the top
modern OS's this way:

0: Windows (any variety, zero is a good rank for Windows)
1: Linux
2: BSD's
3: MAC OSX
4: The "major" Unix's
	4.1: HP/UX
	4.2: AIX
	4.3: Tru64
	4.4: Solaris
Z/OS - OS/390

I know there are lots of other nice and well done OS's out there (like
VMS), but I'm only including OS's with a large installed base that enjoy
current support and development.