[geeks] Games...

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Tue Aug 7 14:17:12 CDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 01:15:53PM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

| Hence the difference between Flight Simulator '98 and Combat Flight
| Simulator. Although the original Flight Simulator was purely a game,

No, I'd disagree there.  It was remarkably realistic, and people did
at least attempt to use it for training.  Perhaps the FAA didn't
officially recognize it for another decade, but it was used as more
than a game.

FS II especially began to work pretty realistically, back in 1983.

http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/fs1.htm
http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/fsii.htm

| by the mid 1990's it had passed to the point that it could be used,
| with the proper equipment to train pilots.

It reached that point in the mid 1980s.  It just took the FAA a while
to catch up -- they aren't known for moving fast.

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us            Virtual reality is its own reward.