[geeks] Let say you wanted a small, small, PC...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Aug 4 19:25:55 CDT 2007

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> PCChips makes some very low cost C7 boards, which will thus include
> SATA, for about the same price.  Hopefully Jonathan Patschke might be
> able to comment on the quality of that brand.

PC Chips is better known on this side of the ocean as "EliteGroup".
I've asked around about that particular board (since it's the only game
in town if you want a C7 on an ATX board).  I haven't personally used
one, but folks I've talked to that have say that the main issue is build
quality.  If you get a good one, it's as good as what VIA qualifies the
chip on, since it's essentially a duplication of VIA's reference
platform.  However, being EliteGroup, sometimes you have to go through
one or two to get a well-assembled part.

$ork have been pressuring VIA to make some low-cost ATX or mini-ATX
boards in addition to their ITX platform because the processor being so
inexpensive is a little pointless to US consumers if you can only get it
on a $300 motherboard.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "When they turn the pages of history, when these
Elgin, TX        (   days have passed long ago, will they read of us