[geeks] Second Life is not a game?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Aug 1 10:34:49 CDT 2007

On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:28 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 05:20:26PM -0400, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>> Anyone who can't afford a $17,000 Mercury Cell Accelerator cards,
>> or the
>> unknown price IBM Cell blades?
>
> I guess so, but I have a stupid question. Since Linux is so similar
> on any platform it runs, why? Since you can get a quad processor
> (actually 4 "core") 64 bit X86 computer for so little, why buy
> a PS/3? What does it offer?

Because it can run some things faster.  Picture Altivec that never
has to wait for memory latency because it is working off of 256k of
SRAM running at the same speed as the processor.  And in addition,
this altivec implementation has 128 128-bit registers, instead of
only 16.  Now, picture 6-8 (PS3 has 6, the stuff from IBM and Mercury
8) of this Altivec processors in one die, and that combined with
those Altivec processors, you also have a regular PPC code to feed
data into the various SRAM locations from main ram and/or other IO
devices.

Stuff running on the Cell processors can potentially run more than 64
times faster than an equivalent Core 2 Duo.  Obviously, there are
tasks where the Cell isn't so good, like general web or file
serving.  But the Cell is relevant for a lot of computational jobs.

It might be more reasonable to compare the Cell against the Nvidia
8x00 line, however while the 8x00 line requires a special C compiler
from Nvidia, and the 8x00 requires a front end processor of some
sort, the Cell can be self hosting and directly runs linux and GCC.

BTW, Nvidia has taken their 8x00 GPUs and bundled them into rack
mount compute nodes.  I believe they even offer a BLAS implementation.

>>> They also supported some PPC development boards and IBM PPC
>>> computers,
>>> but they are pretty rare.
>>
>> But possibly lucrative.
>
> I don't know again. I don't see them getting a lot of income from
> a company using them. A company would probably buy one boxed set,
> and possibly join their "network" for online support and early access
> to their releases, but that's what a $100 a year?

I would imagine that people buying YellowDog for Cell based systems
other than the PS3 would be a) charged more in general, b) buying
support contracts, and c) likely paying for every system.  Like
RedHat.  Sure, you can buy one copy and install it every where, but
how many large companies do that for their critical systems?

The Mercury Cell accellerator board starts at $17,000 the last I
heard.  The Mercury or IBM Cell blade clusters cost far more.  People
buying those aren't likely to skimp on software and support.

>> What tools did they make?
>
> YUM for example.

Oh.