[geeks] tolkien geek stuff, was Re: [rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 30 13:05:06 CDT 2007

Sorry Bill... should have moved earlier.

Mon, 30 Apr 2007 @ 11:30 -0400, der Mouse said:

> >> One is the hash they made of Faramir's character, completely
> >> destroying the contrast between Boromir and Faramir (which to me at
> >> least was most of the point of them).
> > That was a matter of time.
>
> Hardly.

The parts you wanted to see were filmed, but were cut under contractual
obligation.  Same for Gandalf's missing bits.

In fact, originally the contract said the films had to be cut to two
hours, and Jackson fought that enough to get more time.

> Instead of the sequence where Faramir drags Frodo and Sam off track
> before turning them loose, he could simply have turned them loose with
> his blessing (which is approximately what happens in the book).  Same
> or lower screen time, no mangling of his character.

...and it would have made no sense given the other bits that were cut.

A whole lot more time was needed, period.  Likewise for Gandalf, the
other battles, Sauruman, the creation of Mordor's armies, and a dozen
other things there just was no time for.

The DVD version includes a lot of missing pieces, adding another few
hours, but even that isn't all of the material that was filmed.

The other big issue was actor endurance. They worked 6 days a week, 16
hours a day, an average of 3-4 times longer than the average for a 2-3
It makes sense to people who read the book
hour movie.

--
shannon           |    Tara is grass, and behold how Troy lieth