[geeks] [rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 29 11:04:46 CDT 2007

(Moved from Rescue to Geeks)

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2007/04/28 Sat PM 08:12:16 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] replacing an Ultra2

<snip>

>You would be amazed at how many films are made and no one ever sees
>them, because Hollywood thinks they won't sell, or they have political
>reasons for doing it.

I watched "The Eiger Sanction" last night (I collapsed after TCF yesterday
and slept until 10:30, then went downstairs for my first meal of the day...

Anyway, "The Eiger Sanction" could never be made today, because of all the
off-color comments:

Jack Cassidy's (flamoyant) character had a dog named (I kid you not) "Faggot"

There was a black woman (quite attractive) named Jemimah (sp) - and there was
a lot of talk about sex and her being black.

There was a secondary character that used the expression "That's mighty white
of you" - then the same character wondered aloud if that was a phrase Jemimah
ever heard.

And don't forget all the sexual innuendo around Jack Cassidy's character and
his sexual preference. (For those who don't know, while Jack Cassidy was a
successful film actor, he is probably better know as the parent of David
Cassidy, of the Partridge Family For those who don't know about the partridge
family, you are directed to google for answers. ;^)

>It's very hard to get a movie out that is deep, tells the naked truth,
>or has libertarian political messages, or in any way takes a good look
>at anything technical.

I agree in spirit with the above, but I'venot looked into it too much.

>Hollywood also hates movies that don't fit certain molds.
>
>"The World's Fastest Indian" was a great movie, but it was pulled in
>some areas after only showing for 5 days.

That was a great movie, it was just plain fun, but doesnt fit into the "date
movie" category that buys the most tickets...

The Last Kiing of Scotland was very good too, and certainly not a "date
movie", but because it was Forrest Wittaker (whose credits include Fast Times
at Ridgemont High ;^), it got a lot of play...

> Hollywood thought it sucked,
>which pretty much garanteed it was good, so I went to see it.
>
>"The Pianist" had to fight to get screen time, because Hollywood said it
>was dull, boring, and mindless.

I took hollywood at their word on this one...

>Almost all racing movies are blindly stupid, and have little to do with
>racing. If you made a movie truly about racing, it would probably get
>cancelled or limited showing. A good example is the 60s racing movie,
>Formula One I think. It bombed because the audience was bored with a
>racing movie that actually showed racing and the people involved.

I'd love to see that movie, Bullit, and Stop Making Sense on a *big* movie
screen - I wonder what it costs to "rent" a film and a screen at the
multiplex...

>But then, I'm preaching to the choir.

Amen.

Lionel