[geeks] KDE "konsole" cluebat?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 27 13:16:31 CDT 2007

Mon, 16 Apr 2007 @ 13:30 -0700, Nadine said:

> > I keep it beside my desk for pedants, and also because I use it for formal
> > writing whenever I have time.
>
> What makes sense to your audience and what follows the "rules" of
> formal written or even spoken English are often quite different
> beasts.  In my experience, this is the most difficult lesson to teach
> any communicator.

The book I use doesn't tell you how to write. It is more than just a
reference for pedantry, it also has guides for writing, techniques to
use, and also notes when pendantry is not useful or needed.

It's really up to you to turn that into something the receiver will
understand.

> > English professors are like doctors: ask two of them for an opinion and you
> > get three.
>
> That's because each of them is probably approaching the writing from a
> different audience viewpoint.

No... I mean questions specifically about the formal rules of English.
I mean they don't even agree on that in many cases.

--
shannon /     Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage amongst
-------'      his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are