[geeks] KDE "konsole" cluebat?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 27 12:06:47 CDT 2007

Mon, 16 Apr 2007 @ 17:13 -0400, der Mouse said:

> > There is no "wrong way" to express something, as long as the
> > something was successfully expressed or communicated (depending on
> > the situation).
>
> > What is incorrect about successful communication?
>
> Without a "correct" and an "incorrect", there is no way to arrange that
> what I mean when I use a word, phrase, or construct is even roughly the
> same as what you understand when you see/hear it - or conversely.

It doesn't have to be that exact. If it did, no languge would have
synomyms.

"There is more than one way to do it" applies to human languages too.

Besides, you are talking about rules for a language that has few that
aren't arbitrary.

> Consider what would happen if I were to start using the string "apple"
> to refer to the thing you put in a wall with hinges so you can cross

That's nothing like what the rest of us are talking about, and you know
it.

--
shannon /     Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage amongst
-------'      his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are