[geeks] Shrinking the Sun Farm

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 20 14:33:54 CDT 2007

I'm always looking for ways to save space, and I wanted to ask something
about Sun's Netra systems.

I have Sun Ultra systems, and I like them, but they are hot and thick.
Right now I'm running two, and was thinking of getting more, but
the space is a problem.

I know that rackmount Suns and other servers are thinner, but most of
them are too deep for my server table. I only have enough depth for
something like an Ultra 2.

However, I had never really looked at the Netra X1, and just noticed
that it is no deeper than the Ultra systems.

I guess the base question is: are they any good? Can they replace a Sun
Ultra 1 and 2 without problems? On paper they are faster, but I don't
know anything about them beyond the CPU listed.  Just want to avoid a
mistake.

Aside:

Does anyone know if you can get, um... "desktop racks"?

If I can find rack systems that are shallow enough, I could use them on
my server table, but it might be nice if they were not just sitting
loose.

Or does it really matter?

--
shannon
     \                         | And in billows of might swell the Saxons