[geeks] BitTorrent fun

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Thu Apr 19 12:12:35 CDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:06:43 -0500 (CDT), Lionel Peterson wrote:
> So, the new Ubuntu 7.04 was released today, and I thought I'd
> download it while the BitTorrent was flush with downloaders...
>
> So I'm downloading i386 Desktop, i386 Server and SPARC Server - guess
> which is downloading fastest?
>
> SPARC Server (over 500K/sec, consistently for the last several

Well, bear in mind that I'm basing this guess not on how BitTorrent
works, but on something else ...

It could be what is happening is that Ubuntu/SPARC is a minority
interest which allows the even smaller minority of people 'downloading'
using very fast connections to be more dominant.

Whereas Ubuntu/x86* is swamped by people with slow ADSL connections so
that people with very fast network connections are such a small
minority that you are unlikely to reach them.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  Some people, when confronted with a problem, think ``I know, I'll use