[geeks] Race Tracks

Bryan Fullerton fehwalker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 10:57:24 CDT 2007

On 4/19/07, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> I've heard that the total-lifecycle environmental cost of a Prius is
> actually higher than that of a Hummer.

I heard about this report too, a year or two ago, and from what I
remember it was looking at the "dust-to-dust" environmental cost,
including mining and refining original metals, cost of the assembly
lines (including impact of the workers), an estimated lifetime of
driving, disposal after scrapping, etc.

There were a lot of assumptions, especially since (not surprisingly)
not all costs incurred were provided by the manufacturers.

I think it was also comparing the Prius to the original Hummer, not
the H2 or H3 with their increased "luxury details".

Bryan