[geeks] Retro encabulator part 2.

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 16 19:04:51 CDT 2007

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2007/04/16 Mon PM 03:40:38 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Retro encabulator part 2.

<snip>

>We did things like that in college, writing manuals and computer science
>papers that were... not quite factual.
>
>Sometimes we didn't make them absurd enough and people fell for it.
>
>A professor would come around after awhile: "Um... we need to talk."
>
>It continued into work.  I used to write manuals for new workers on how to
>deal with the company.  They were like medieval satire... just dodgy enough
>that I didn't get fired, but still served as a useful warning to newbies.

I found the template used at Computer Associates (shudder), and I used to print out manual cover pages for well-known mainframe software that we didn't actually own (yet) and leave it on the printer... My favorite was CA-MVS/XA, but that was a but too over the top... CA-ISPF, CA-VSAM, etc...

I never heard anyone complain/remark, but I always imagined a puzzled look when it was found, whoever found it assuming it was sent from a secret Documantation group to the wrong printer...

Or not. But I had fun.

Lionel