[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 15:50:24 CDT 2007

On 4/16/07, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> >In NJ, most district are below $40K.  Other professions start at higher
> >amounts still. (estimate $60K)  Cost of living here is outrageous.
>
> WTF "starts" at $60K? You have to have something more than an English degree and a fondness for small children to make $60K in NJ.
>
> Cost of living is outageous in NJ - agreed.

It's not NJ, but a (now) 3yr outta college CS major I know with a
little Windows Oracle, a little Solaris/Unix is pulling 65K+ in his
latest position in the DC satellite market.  Even discounting the $10K
bonus for his TS, I can see someone with serious co-op experience or a
lot of serious part-time experience and an MS pulling 60K at start.

Back to the original topic, California also has the teacher salary
problem--several school districts in Silicon Valley, like Santa Clara
were looking at how to do subsidized housing for them.  Of course,
they also did a lot of recruiting out of state to get fresh graduates
into jobs--fresh graduates with little understanding of the cost of
living in the area.  There was a big multi-part feature in the Mercury
News during the boom about married teachers having to have roommates
to make ends meet, etc.

In Nevada, even though they have a teacher shortage, they will not
hire you to teach unless you are a US citizen, though apparently they
do have "career transition" programs for degreed folks moving from
other professions to teaching so they can get their teaching
certificate as they work.  Don't know the details.

=Nadine=