[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 16 11:31:14 CDT 2007

>From: wa2egp at att.net
>Date: 2007/04/16 Mon AM 10:29:31 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Well, let's see then, if 80% get nearly $62K (the average, some above, more below), then starting pay is bad, but only 20% of the teachers make significantly less than that figure...

>> >And you think teachers do get paid enough?  Hoo boy!  Obviously, teachers
>> >did not do their job in the math skills department. :)
>>
>> I think they do, yes. Teachers don't start at $62K, but most end higher when
>> they retire from our distict.
>
>I started at $13K.  My wife started at a major company two years later at $25K.
>Same education.  This is my 27th year.  Only a few years ago did my pay
>exceed hers due to a balloning in the last two years before top scale.  BTW,
>before I taught at my present job, I left a factory where I got $16K.

27 years ago, teacher pay sucked, now it doesn't - it is pretty reasonable, IMHO, if not excessive in SOME cases. Very few on this list (or in my home town) get guaranteed pay raises in spite of annual performance. Job security is another alien concept to most of my neighbors, but those are just certain elements of the jobs - it takes a different person to teach than it does to say, program, engineer, etc.

Lionel