[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon Apr 16 10:45:44 CDT 2007

> There are plenty of teachers that don't even have the equivalent of a
> 4 year degree. In some places they are reducing the requirements, or
> already have.

That's why NCLB was enacted.  To prevent that.  Almost all teachers in
NJ already fit the requirements.

> In 13 years, I can count the good teachers I had on one hand.

Same here.  Mainly non-public schools.

> It's not just incompetence either. A good number of my teachers were
> abusive on top of the rest.

I wonder why (just kidding).

> Those of you who have seen good teachers in a good system, you don't
> know how lucky you are, or at least you don't seem to.
>
> The only way I'll ever support increases in teacher's pay, is if they do
> three things at a minimum:
>
> 	- require a four year degree, and not in some trivial program
> 	- classes specific to teaching are *extra* requirements
> 	- teachers who don't perform or abuse the kids get canned,
> 	  efficiently and without mercy

The first is required in NJ for YEARS.  In sciences, they require a minor
in the science you're teaching.

> > Try to find out the average SAT scores of those who end up teachers.
> > Those you know are probably way off the charts.
>
> Maybe... I've never thought SAT was a good measure of intelligence
> myself.
>
> A lot of the key to doing well in school and on tests is not
> intelligence, but cleverness, knowing how to work the system.

Just in school?

> Testing is not a skill everyone has in equal measure, so what are we
> really measuring?

I (we) don't just test.  There are other measurements.

> In fact, do we even know why we measure? The original purpose of
> examinations and grading was not to score people, but to guide the path
> they took through their studies.

Unfortunately, administrators use tests to determine success.  That and
increasing class load tends to make one less "interested" in guiding.

Bob