[geeks] KDE "konsole" cluebat?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 10:39:08 CDT 2007

On 4/14/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Fri, 13 Apr 2007 @ 13:42 -0700, Nadine said:
>
> > Any KDE experts out there that can hit me with a cluebat on this issue?
>
> The short answer to your question is to use xterm.

I used xterm but was having problems with the terminal was wonky on
the Linux boxes, as I stated in the original email.  I was in a time
crunch, so figured it was some weird Linux-ism, and decided to try a
"native" tool in the short term.

> Unless you happen to want the menus and tabs, there really isn't much
> point to Konsole (and similar programs).

I have not been able to resolve the font issue in Konsole, but
Andrew's "back to basics" comment about infocmp gave me what I needed
to get the right TERM variable for xterm so that they worked properly
on both Solaris and Linux.

Given your other comments about fonts and KDE, it would appear that
there's no point in trying to get it to work.  I can only presume it's
some kind of flag for monospace or something that's preventing it from
showing up.

Seems "xterm" on Solaris handles color fine, but the TERM description
is significantly different from that of Linux.  I switched to "xtermc"
and it works in both places.

> Fonts work a lot better too since Jim Gettys updated xterm to use the
> new font engine.

Having more monospaced fonts available is the big bonus of xterm and
other X software, over the kde-based tools, as far as I am concerned.

> You also want to make sure that Sun's X server has XRender support and
> has the libraries for sub-pixel rendering if you are using an LCD
> or even a linear RGB CRT.
>
> Finally, make sure you install the better font libraries out there. Some
> of what comes with X is not very good, and excellent replacements exist,
> including a few from Microsoft. I don't know if Sun included any of them
> or not, but since you have some ugly fonts, I thought it might be worth
> checking.
>
> Oh, and if you do have an LCD, disable anti-aliasing and use sub-pixel
> hinting instead.  It is much better.

Btdt, most everything looks pretty good running KDE on my LCD (it was
easier to set up my dual headed X configuration on Solaris than it was
on Kubuntu, since the nvidia drivers didn't have to be installed
separately).  I have some web page rendering issues on FFx, but that's
because I force a larger font than what most web pages want.  But I
can live with that.

The fonts on Konsole are not horrible, but they are certainly not
good, either.  The selection is so limited that I there isn't one that
is clearer and larger available.  I use 8x13bold in my xterms as I
find it's a good compromise between size (e.g. two 80 column xterms
fit horizontally with only a two columns of overlap) and readability
for me.

I just thank goodness for Blastwave so I don't have to use
Gno^H^H^HJava Desktop/CDE.

=Nadine=