[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 16 06:32:22 CDT 2007

>From: Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar at liftport.com>
>Date: 2007/04/15 Sun PM 10:50:12 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

>Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>> From: wa2egp at att.net
>>> Date: 2007/04/15 Sun PM 12:52:27 CDT
>>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

>>> What gets me is that in my district, "special needs" teachers get more money.
>>> I my building, the hearing impaired teacher (really nice guy too) has five
>>> students ALL DAY!  I have 143.  He gets a few hundred more than I do per
>>> year.  I teach in a magnet school.  Go figure.  (At least my district
>>> has a magnet school,  my home town does not.)
>>
>> Thank the union, AFAIK. As I understand it, every differentiator a teacher offers ups their pay. Now, if he could speak spanish I bet he'd get more still, even though he can't use it in class (the kids are hearing impared)...
>>
>> Lionel
>
>I asked my wife about compensation and she replied that's it's based on
>education and years of experience - a teacher with a BS and fours of
>experience would not make more than a teacher with a BS and a command of
>Spanish.

Fair enough, I remember one teacher at another school district I met in one of my community college classes years ago - he was taking every course offered (with tuition reimbursement) and earning Associates degree after Associates degree and increasing his base pay because of his increasing education (classroom hours in last so many years)...

>She has taught in Oklahoma and Texas, public high and middle school,
>private middle school.  YMMV.

Agreed...

>Um - the Spanish speaking teacher could not use it with his students but
>he could with his students parents.

Yep.

Lionel