[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Sun Apr 15 22:50:12 CDT 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: wa2egp at att.net
>> Date: 2007/04/15 Sun PM 12:52:27 CDT
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore
>
>>> Exactly - problem is, schools won't get sued for ignoring those with special
>>> abilities, but they WILL get sued for ignoring those with special needs.
>>>
>>> There are no absolutes, and every school district is different, but this is the
>>> problem I hear most - special needs parents are very aggressive (and they
>>> certainly should be), but sometimes at the expense of other students...
>>>
>>> Lionel
>> What gets me is that in my district, "special needs" teachers get more money.
>> I my building, the hearing impaired teacher (really nice guy too) has five
>> students ALL DAY!  I have 143.  He gets a few hundred more than I do per
>> year.  I teach in a magnet school.  Go figure.  (At least my district
>> has a magnet school,  my home town does not.)
>
> Thank the union, AFAIK. As I understand it, every differentiator a teacher offers ups their pay. Now, if he could speak spanish I bet he'd get more still, even though he can't use it in class (the kids are hearing impared)...
>
> Lionel

I asked my wife about compensation and she replied that's it's based on
education and years of experience - a teacher with a BS and fours of
experience would not make more than a teacher with a BS and a command of
Spanish.

She has taught in Oklahoma and Texas, public high and middle school,
private middle school.  YMMV.

Um - the Spanish speaking teacher could not use it with his students but
he could with his students parents.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod