[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sat Apr 14 14:52:44 CDT 2007

" From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:15:09 -0400 (EDT)
" adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker) wrote:
"
" > " From: Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org>
" > "
" > " On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:06:25 -0400 (EDT), Sandwich Maker wrote:
" > " > [genetics is another story - the
" > " > welsh, and someone claims the whole british isles - are more closely
" > " > related to the basques than anyone else]
" > "
" > " Really ? Have you got any references ? (curious not doubtful)
" >
" > sadly, i have a poor head for references.  but there have been
" > extensive mitochondrial [nicely summarized in 'the seven eves'] and
" > y-chromosome studies of europe.
"
" []
"
" I don't know about being related to the basques, as that sounds to me like a
" set of assumptions based on celtic myth, legend, and some reality in their
" travels to and from parts of Spain long ago.

iirc what i read was based on genetic studies, not mythology.

they got around a lot more than we usually think, back then.
archaeology has turned up that the pre-celtic irish had regular trade
with france.  directly, not via britain.

" For example, stories (and a lot of poems) like "The Sons of the Gael" and
" how they left their lands in Spain to fight in Ireland, and were ultimately
" destroyed.  I didn't think they were basques though, and can't think of who
" else it might refer to.

i believe it is true that spain was populated by celts in roman times.
whether the galicians are a remnant of that population or britons
who fled the saxon invasion as brittany was i don't know.  brythonic
[british/welsh] and goidelic [irish/scots] gaelic are quite distinct;
which one galician is closest to should tell.