[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Fri Apr 13 19:52:14 CDT 2007

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>
>>> If people learn (or are taught) to use their tools -well-, they can
>>> produce easily-managed useful output with even tools as mediocre as
>>> Microsoft Word.
>> I'll buy that.  How long is a course needed to teach that level of
>> proficiency in a word processor?
>
> Well, first you have to start by teaching the difference between content
> and formatting, which is where you lose the majority of people due to
> severely retarded abstract thinking skills as a result of US government
> de-education. :(
>
> Once you get past that point, it'd take maybe a week or two to turn
> someone into a complete expert on MS Word, WordPerfect, or even LaTeX.

Two weeks then if you have motivated people.  That's a bit long for a
corporate training course but doable (IMHO) if the result is a trained
staff.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod