[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Fri Apr 13 19:43:39 CDT 2007

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2007, at 4:20 AM, der Mouse wrote:
>
>>> NCLB had a purpose, and it was well intentioned, but it focused too
>>> much on those with profound needs, ignoring those that have profound
>>> abilities.
>> Profound abilities quite often *produce* profound needs.
>>

> Well, the reality is that because the focus of the NCLB is "everyone
> has these basic proficiencies" the end result in many cases is that the
> smart kids are left to fend for themselves while all the funding goes
> to help the kids on the left end of the bell curve.
>
> A Google search of
>
> nclb gifted program
>
> should provide you with a good cross-section of the argument on both
> sides.

One of the reasons we decided to home school was that my then youngest
boy qualified for the gifted program, which had been discontinued the
previous year.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod