[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Fri Apr 13 17:48:38 CDT 2007

Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:40:20 -0400 (EDT), Sandwich Maker wrote:
>> a lot of the horseplay over english grammar stems from the idea that
>> it should be more like latin [norman french?], whereas it in fact has
>> a much stronger germanic foundation.  split infinitives is one area.
>
> I was going to mention that but thought I was in danger of getting
> dangerously long-winded :)

I'd read such a post :)

I've heard somewhere that spelling changes were made because of an
assumed correlation with Latin when in fact the word evolved elsewhere.
The only one I can remember is "island" - according to what I read, it
was never pronounced with an "s" in English, but the "s" was added
because at the time people believed that the word must have come from
Latin, where the word looks similar, and there was an "s". Confirm/deny?

> I don't recall that. But certainly I'm aware of the general hostility
> that authors who attempt dialect works are received with. Somewhat
> similar to the reception British English films and books are sometimes
> given in the US :)

Is it bad that I like to watch some movies / TV shows *because* I think
the accents are interesting? (Not restricted to British)

  - Micah