[geeks] Languages [was Re: New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore]

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Fri Apr 13 15:51:02 CDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 04:41:15PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> which reminds me - in the invasion of britain, i know where the saxons
> and danes came from; also jutes from jutland, and frisians from the
> dutch/german coast today speak a dialect close to english - but where
> were the angles?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angeln

With the usual Wikipedia warnings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angles
"The Old English word for the district of Angeln (where the Angles may have come from) on the
Baltic is Angel."
"It may mean "the people who dwell by the Narrow Water (i.e. the Schlei)",
from the Proto-Indo-European language root ang- meaning "narrow"."

I always found this kind of information to be interesting. "Connections" is the crack for that sort
of discovery.
-Andy Wallis