[geeks] E420r Framebuffer question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 13 12:00:07 CDT 2007

>From: Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
>Date: 2007/04/13 Fri AM 11:36:00 CDT
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] E420r Framebuffer question

>" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
>"
>" Hello all,
>"
>" I got an E420r the other day, and while I have also gotten a PGX32 to use as a console framebuffer, I had a thought and I was wondering if anyone ever tried a "vertical" Creator/Elite framebuffer in one of these servers?
>"
>" []
>"
>" The Sun site doesn't list any creator cards being supported, but the MB is the same as an Ultra 80, and as such the Ultra 80 can take these framebuffers...
>
>unsupported often just means sun never tested the combo, not that it
>won't work.

I'll give it a try then - my second E420r just arrived (yay!) - $99 for $x 450 MHz CPUs, 4 Gig RAM, 4 port 10/100 PCI card and no HDs...

My first one ($275 w/12 month warranty, included 2x 18 gig HDs and no PCI Ethernet card, but otherwise the same as above) had a bad DVD-ROM drive, which CCNY is replacing after a very reasonable conversation:

"My DVD drive can't read DVDs - I tried Sun sourced DVDs for Solaris 10 and 9, neither worked, nor did a home made DVD. Then I tried a CD-ROM and the drive eventually worked. The errors were "the file just loaded does not appear executable", and "The magin number is wrong". I looked at the internal cables, and all are snug and secure."

"Tech said, well, that 's all we could have done without the unit in-hand, so I'll have a replacement drive sent out today at no charge."

What more could you hope for from a discount, eBay retailer? I'll add CCNY to my list of good Sun resellers (my list used to be just Anysystem.com).

Lionel