[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Apr 13 11:51:44 CDT 2007

" From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" Around here they dropped latin many years ago because "it no longer has any
" meaning or usefulness".
"
" I always wanted to learn it and perhaps ancient Greek.
"
" It's also useful if you are in physics or computer science to learn
" Russian.  That one strikes me as being quite hard.
"
" In college we studied Old English and various forms of gaelic.  Both are a
" lot nicer than Modern English.  gaelic has a flow to it that is missing in so
" many languages.  Even Old English has a similar feel, but is more germanic.

anglo -saxon-!  check where upper and lower saxony are...

" In high school I took German, but I stopped using it and forgot it.
"
" Once in awhile I play with gaelic and Latin, but don't have any real good
" idea how to learn them.
"
" I'm also more interested in their more ancient forms.  gaelic variations are
" not much changed, but Latin has changed.  Not as much in grammar, but
" certainly pronunciation is quite different now.

ich habe ein jahr hochschulerdeutsch, but that's about all i can do
with it.  i've also picked up a smattering of french from the year i
spent in geneva and occasionally startle myself with it.  i'd like to
learn gaelic too, and also ancient greek, aramaic, and some of the
other languages of history.

" I once went to hear a professor speak ancient Latin, like a Roman would, and
" it is nothing like what you hear from a modern catholic.

the more i learn, the more i come to believe that -all- original
sources are nothing like what you hear from a modern catholic.