[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Fri Apr 13 11:38:02 CDT 2007

>> I'd say that's a defensible point of view, but only if you consider
>> programming to include designing the software as well as coding it.
> You don't?

Not inherently, no.  (*Good* programming, though, does.)

>> Actually, some of the people who confuse CS with those other
>> disciplines are schools that purport to teach CS, meaning that
>> sometimes, you can study what the school calls CS and actually end
>> up getting programming or software design (or, rarely, sysadmin).
> Personally I don't see how you could teach software design without
> teaching real computer science, but I do know what you mean.

Yes...except that you don't need very much of the theory to be a
competent engineer.  For example, you need to know *that* you can't
sort faster than N log N, but you don't necessarily need to know *why*.
(You probably should have at least a passing familiarity with the
exceptions to that rule, though.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca