[geeks] E420r Framebuffer question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 13 10:14:40 CDT 2007

Hello all,

I got an E420r the other day, and while I have also gotten a PGX32 to use as a console framebuffer, I had a thought and I was wondering if anyone ever tried a "vertical" Creator/Elite framebuffer in one of these servers?

I've seen on various forums that people just repeat the line that a UPA framebuffer won't fit, but it looks like it will (in the shared PCI/UPA slot).

The Sun site doesn't list any creator cards being supported, but the MB is the same as an Ultra 80, and as such the Ultra 80 can take these framebuffers...

So, before I start down the path of trying various Creator/Elite framebuffers I have, has anyone actually tried this? The E420r is a bit loud as a desktop, but it could be interesting...

Lionel