[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 13 09:00:37 CDT 2007

>From: der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
>Date: 2007/04/13 Fri AM 03:20:32 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

>> NCLB had a purpose, and it was well intentioned, but it focused too
>> much on those with profound needs, ignoring those that have profound
>> abilities.
>
>Profound abilities quite often *produce* profound needs.

Exactly - problem is, schools won't get sued for ignoring those with special abilities, but they WILL get sued for ignoring those with special needs.

There are no absolutes, and every school district is different, but this is the problem I hear most - special needs parents are very aggressive (and they certainly should be), but sometimes at the expense of other students...

Lionel