[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Fri Apr 13 00:59:46 CDT 2007

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
>> I question the teaching of word processing at all.  Just tell kids
>> they have to type their papers, and they will be able to figure it
>> out.
>
> I respectfully disagree.
>
> I've met very few people who use word processors daily who can use them
> well.  Take a good look at the next few Word documents you receive that
> weren't produced by some big company's PR department.  You'll see things
> like ______ used instead of underline-tab for blanks in fill-in forms
> (or, worse yet, lines drawn in "page layout" view that fall out of place
> if you haven't precisely the right typefaces installed).  You'll see
> things indented with spaces instead of tabs and indents set properly.
> You'll see bulleted lists set off with asterisks rather than the word
> processor's list features.  You'll see headers and footers done by
> hand(!!).  You'll see no use of styles or sections whatsoever, with
> formatting applied inconsistently everyplace.
>
> If people learn (or are taught) to use their tools -well-, they can
> produce easily-managed useful output with even tools as mediocre as
> Microsoft Word.

I'll buy that.  How long is a course needed to teach that level of
proficiency in a word processor?

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod