[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 12 23:50:37 CDT 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:38:32 -0500 (CDT)
Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

> >From: Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
> >Date: 2007/04/12 Thu PM 05:49:13 CDT
> >To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> >Subject: Re: [geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore
>
> >" From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
> <snip>
> >" One of my good college
> >" friends (a history & classics geek, on top of an IT geek) has been
> >" teaching his son, who's 8, iirc, Greek and Latin.  His son is gobbling
> >" up pretty much every piece of info put in front of him by his dad.  He
> >" loves it, so he doesn't even think it's hard.
> >
> >it isn't hard, for kids.  we are wired for learning, and learning
> >language, when we're young.  consider how much english you learn
> >without even trying, by age 4.  your friend's son is probably helped
> >by parents who are fluent and comfortable in greek and latin.
>
> My old High School has started teaching Latin in the 6th, 7th, and 8th
> grade classes - it seems to be working well (my "High School" included
> grades 6 -> 12).

Around here they dropped latin many years ago because "it no longer has any
meaning or usefulness".

I always wanted to learn it and perhaps ancient Greek.

It's also useful if you are in physics or computer science to learn
Russian.  That one strikes me as being quite hard.

In college we studied Old English and various forms of gaelic.  Both are a
lot nicer than Modern English.  gaelic has a flow to it that is missing in so
many languages.  Even Old English has a similar feel, but is more germanic.

In high school I took German, but I stopped using it and forgot it.

Once in awhile I play with gaelic and Latin, but don't have any real good
idea how to learn them.

I'm also more interested in their more ancient forms.  gaelic variations are
not much changed, but Latin has changed.  Not as much in grammar, but
certainly pronunciation is quite different now.

I once went to hear a professor speak ancient Latin, like a Roman would, and
it is nothing like what you hear from a modern catholic.

--
shannon