[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Apr 12 12:19:43 CDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 12:36:05PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Nothing wrong with packaged solutions, I use them all the time, but first I
> learned to do it myself.

I just want to comment on something that happened while you were
writing this. I decided to install a package that was described in the
torrent thread. I have an old system. It still thinks it's RedHat 7.2,
but almost everything except /etc/redhat.version has been upgraded. So I
need to install packages from the source code. No big thing, I've been
doing it on computers since the late 1960's, on Unix since 1990 and Linux
since 1995.

I just wish that if you understand enough about the requirments for a
program to write a configure script, you actually included those requirements
in the list of requirements on the web page. That way I did not have to
find it out by runing configure and finding it out the hard way (running
configure, adding something, tweaking a config parameter, running configure
again until either you give up or succeed).

> Two weeks ago I started writing low level C code just to being repairing the
> damage.  Nothing magic about C, I just mean I'm starting back at the
> beginning, creating tools for the layers above.  No one seems interested in
> this kind of programmer any more, but I think it is important to keep up with
> it anyway, and I really think it should be used more.

What I can say from my experince starting technology companies is that some
people are assholes (can I say that here?) and will do their best to remain
so. Some people will steal what you have because it's easier and some people
will use everything as a learning experience and start over again.

For those that don't know, I'm living off of a small disability pension
due to health problems which culminated in early February with a minor
heart attack. So my chances of doing anything except act as a muse,
mentor and technology expert are pretty slim, and if I do start working,
which is difficult at best, I loose what income I have.

Meanwhile, I am working on getting others to start companies that will
with my inspiration hopefully pay off some day and:

1. Package an open source operating system so that the "common man"
   will be able to buy it for a small sum and install and use it easily
   on their computer. No it is not Linux. It's also not covered by the GPL.

   Our added value would be a simple instalation and maintainance system,
   which is sorely lacking, package integration and support.

   Similar idea to Red Hat in 1994, but without the built in "steal me"
   factor that has plagued them. Cheap CD producers may be your friend,
   but they are not the friends of the people who want to make a
   living off of their work.

   The following will use the products of this company:

2. A handheld gaming device. Not the same as the one from my company
   that failed, but new and improved.

3. A more generic handheld device. An "information appliance" in your
   hand, heavily subsidised by the huge gaming market.

4. An expanded device built as a laptop/portable computer. Basicly
   device #3 (above) with a built in keyboard and larger screen.
   Not as ambitious as the $100 laptop project, but a lot closer
   in price to their target than their final product.

Seed investors and professional CEO's needed. :-)

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838