[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Apr 12 03:39:14 CDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 04:09:00AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> Teaching OpenOffice instead of teaching Excel and Word makes almsot no
> difference to me; I still believe they should be teaching word
> processing and spreadsheets rather than any particular instance of
> either.

Image this at an interview:

	Interviewer:	"Did you learn how to use Word in your class"?

	Candidate:	 "No, we used Open Office".

	Interviewer:	"Sorry, we want someone who knows Word".

When you start a company and hire people you can hire people for what
concepts they know, instead of what programs they've used. But most
of the world thinks the other way. :-(

It was rare in computers thirty years ago to hire people for specific
knowledge, now it is the norm.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838