[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Apr 12 01:41:58 CDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 09:07:59PM -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> I'll take your word for it.  We're both from Oklahoma but Jenks only had
>  'a' room of computers and they were used to teach programming, IIRC.
> Of course that was 20+ years ago, not 15.

Junior High:  I took "Typing", on actual typewriters (and I preferred the
Selectric to the whiz-bang fancy new ones most of the class used).  By the
time I was in 9th grade, they had started turning it into "keyboarding".

High school (Anadarko, '91-93): "Typing II" on actual typewriters, and
the school offered Pascal and C classes for honors/advanced students.
The computer courses also included a LOT of WordPerfect 5.1 (on PS/2 model
25s).

College (USAO @ Chickasha, '93-96): The only place I ever saw an actual
typewriter was in the business offices occasionally, or on a professor's
desk.  The "Business" computer-related classes were all Lotus/WP/DBase,
but the CompSCI classes went all the way up to Pascal, C, COBOL, compiler
design, database design, algorithms, etc.

Funny fact:  I did about 30wpm after my first year of "Typing" class.
Now, I have at least one person a week walk past my office at work, stop,
look in, and make a comment to the effect of "YOU TYPE FASTER THAN ANYONE
I'VE EVER SEEN".  Apparently it's been a topic of discussion among people
on my floor.  Probably doesn't help that both systems on my desk have
either a Model M or a Unicomp current-production-equivalent attached.

I only do about 80wpm on average.. when I really try I can hit 100-110, but
my error rate goes up.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford