[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 12 01:13:58 CDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I don't know that it's EVER been about "broad concepts".  Today it's
> Word and Excel and PowerPoint.  15 years ago it was Wordperfect, Lotus
> 1-2-3, and DBase.

When I took a course like that (1994 or so), we had to learn Microsoft
Works, then 1-2-3 and WP 5.1, then Word and Excel.  Catching the
concepts was important; knowing what button to push was minutiae.

Of course, we also learned typing on Selectrics for a semester before
moving onto "document preparation and editing" in WP 5.1 and did
accounting by pencil and journal for two years.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how fortunate I was to
attend and old-fashioned high school.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "If we keep our pride, though paradise is lost, we
Elgin, TX        (   will pay the price, but we cannot count the cost."