[geeks] Debian 4.0 Bittorrent for DVD

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Apr 12 00:19:02 CDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 06:38:40PM -0500, Chad McAuley wrote:
> I don't know about schedule based, but bandwidth shaping can be added
> to torrentflux pretty easily.  There's information in the forums on
> how to edit the php script that actually launches the bittorrent
> client to get it running with trickle[0].  Unfortunately, from what I
> can tell, once you've set limits with trickled you can't adjust the
> limits without stopping and restarting the daemon with the new limits.
>  I'd also think this would require you to restart any processes you've
> launched with trickle, but I haven't tested it so that's just a guess.

That's what I do now, but it's not what I want. What I want is to allow
the total aggregate upload rate to be 23k bytes per second (the best
deal I can get with my line) from midnight until 5:30am, and then drop
back to around 3-4k, and back up after 7:45am until 4pm.

Except Tuesdays I want it down at 1:30pm and up from 4pm on Friday
until 7pm Saturday.

Download speed is irrelevant, I can accomodate 400k bytes per second
(if I could ever get that with a torrent) and still use my VoIP, surf
the web, etc.

That's a bit too complicated for stopping and starting torrents. Especialy
ones that run 20 days from start to finish.

> Really though, from what I'm seeing it looks like the best option for
> schedule based bandwidth shaping with torrentflux would be to just use
> iptables/pf/etc.

It's all open source, I could probably get into the code and change it,
but I'm not sure it would be worth it. With a per torrent cap of 1k upload,
I get decent downloads on the slow things. It takes 4-7 hours to download
the popular things (350k TV programs), and 2-7 hours with a 23k cap.

It just requires me to do something else during the day. :-)

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838