[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Apr 12 00:07:49 CDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 04:44:26AM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> Probably because they were taught the wrong terminology in a workshop given by
> another clueless person.  Been there.  I also like "activate your mouse",
> "download to the server" and my favorite; "sign on to the <enter your favorite
> device>".  Let's not forget when we have to "reconfigure" our machines.  It's
> fun to watch this and predict how smart you will be compared to all the idiots
> that will be generated by this crap.

When I moved here in 1996 I found there were three words in Hebrew for
every computer term.

1. The English term with a Hebrew ending ('im or 'ot) plauralization in Hebrew
   such as sectorim, or Russian ending such as informatziah or documentatziah.

2. A proper Hebrew term that had a similar meaning to the English one.
   These were only used in scientific papers and classes at the university.
   Since I did not speak formal Hebrew I was never exposed to them.

3. A "slang" Hebrew term, for example, sector was translated to "rainbow".

It was odd to me, but I expect that in the 10 years I have been gone,
a whole new slang has been created to go with the supermarket computers that
have come into existance.

Even here. Passover (just finished) is the big get rid of old junk buy new,
holiday, and one local supermarket had a computer (with an approriate
food purchase) for 888 NIS ( around $200), it was a 3 gHz Celeron,
256m RAM, 80g HD, and a  CD/RW.

I wonder how many people bought them and had no clue as to how to use them.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838