[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Apr 11 15:32:57 CDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 02:55:31PM -0500, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> (As for Bible translations, I used the NASB, which still maintains
> some archaic language - it's based on the RSV, written 1907(?) - but
> is much more readable than the KJV to me. I chose it based on
> everything I've read on how literal it is.)

The original text of the old testament used a vocabulary of about 800 words.

How that translates into English I have no idea, for example there
are no verbs to be or go like in English even in modern Hebrew.
There is also no word for of, from or to, being expressed by prefixes.

Double negatives are required. so you would say "not bananas no here"
or "not have I no bananas".

Aramaic is close enough to Hebrew for the same rules to apply.

IMHO Hebrew is so different that if you take a sentence in English and
translate the words to Hebrew they make no sense or vice versa. There
needs to be more translation, and context based interpretation.

Just as a trivia point, Henry the Eighth of England wrote a paper on
Christianity and was awarded by the Pope the title "Defender of the Faith".
That's where the title came from which was used by King James and to this
day is till used by the King/Queen.  If you have a KJV, you can see it
in the front.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838