[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 13:24:15 CDT 2007

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 12:53:57PM -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>> I'm more distressed about them teaching 'Word'.  Not a MS bias but
>> observation that 'teaching office automation' usually involves
>> memorizing 'how-to' run MS Office and not, say, the broad concepts
>> behind the thing.
>
> I don't know that it's EVER been about "broad concepts".  Today it's
> Word and Excel and PowerPoint.  15 years ago it was Wordperfect,
> Lotus 1-2-3, and DBase.

I did my course slightly less than 15 years ago, and we did it with
pencil and paper.

I also took an economics course right around the same time and we
simulated an entire stock market (including the market, the brokers,
corporate customers and personal customers) with pencil and paper.  We
didn't even use calculators.

Peace...  Sridhar