[geeks] One (Windows) Laptop Per Child

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Sep 30 13:47:48 CDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 06:40:05PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> I would have thought that a $10 budget would be too limiting, but I
> suppose if you're thinking of ordering a 100 million of them, the
> quantity discount is something else :)

Since it would be a government sponsored program, you probably could
give tax incentives for donations, etc. One way is to get companies
to build modern factories and give a certain percentage of their
output to the project in exchange for tax incentives.

It's very common with countries and cities within countries fighting over
who can give the best deal. The Pentium 4 chip is made in a factory in
a little town called Kiryat Gat, because Jerusalem was the original site,
but Kiryat Gat offered better incentives.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838