[geeks] Why MS's Zune product is very scary

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Sep 29 18:12:17 CDT 2006

 From now until Christmas at least, expect a huge amount of press abuot
the new "iPod killer" from Microsoft called the Zune.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Zune
http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics/music/zunes-big-innovation-viral-
drm/

(these are the articles I use for reference)

One of the Zune's "features" is that it will automatically wrap DRM
around any content you share via Zune.

Do people not understand that a DRM system, which wraps DRM around
every file, gives MS utter and complete control over what you listen
to?

Think of a commentator, TV/radio/podcast, that has views that are at
odds with the current views of society or government or a big business,
whether ultra-left or ultra-right or whatever.

Imagine that said commentator gives away, for free, audio clips of
their speeches.

IF you use the Zune, these files will automatically be wrapped in DRM,
and it will be then be up to Microsoft as to whether or not you will be
allowed to play it, on a piece of hardware that you have already paid
for.

Does no one see the very scary implications of this in a society that
has already run amok with politically correct speech codes and thought
crimes?

Imagine a radio personality who rails against a company that does
something unethical or illegal.

The company files a suit against the commentator and gets a temporary
injunction against distributing speeches about that subject by the
commentator; then they take that injunction to Microsoft, and because
MS has the *ability* to revoke playback rights, they are required to
put this list of speeches on their Zune revocation list (I am assuming
that just like SSL has a certificate revocation list, MS DRM will have
something similar).

On the next software update, or when Zune connects to update its
subscription-based licenses, *all copies of the speeches on the list*
are prevented from being played back.

I suppose I am just an alarmist... I guess this is just a rant.

--Patrick