[geeks] One (Windows) Laptop Per Child

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Sep 29 12:52:47 CDT 2006

Fri, 29 Sep 2006 @ 10:10 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:

> The long & Short of it is that Intel put a 900 MHz Pentium M CPU in a
> case with an 800x480 color display (TFT, by the looks of it), Windows
> XP Embedded O/S with 1 Gig of internal storage (USB device inside
> case) and WiFi (again, USB device inside case). It has a power brick,
> Fast Ethernet, and no hand-crank or Play Skool colors.
>
> Estimated prices fluctuate between $250-400, based on qty.

I see much more fully featured laptops all the time for not much more
than that.

> Seems like a decent idea - it allows schools to build on existing
> WinXP software base, not rely on third-party software developers to
> create software for it, and it has usefulness in so-called first-world
> countries with wired and WiFi networking.
>
> Thoughts?

I think given the specs, the price is awfully high.

The other day I saw a 2GHz Intel laptop with 14" screen and a 20GB hard
drive for $400.  Granted, it is low end, but I suspect that the system
you listed above is pretty cheaply made, and the storage is awfully low.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [4649 5920 4320 204e 4452 5420 5348 5920 4820
2056 2054 434d 2048 4d54 2045 204e 5259 4820 444e 0a53]