[geeks] Going with the (flowed)...

Fri Sep 29 10:50:23 CDT 2006

>>> and that I "should" limit line length to between 72 and 79
>>> characters,
>> Right.  The de-facto historical standard.
> Based on what, Hollerith cards?  3270 Terminals?  VT-100s?

All of the above, I'd guess, most of which probably can trace their
80-column-ness ultimately back to punched cards.

> The default size of y$

My something?  I use 80-column stuff heavily, but I do so because it's
the de-facto standard, not the other way around.

>> Sure, except that it has no particular way to know which emails it's
>> appropriate for.  That's why the spec calls for that information to
>> be attached to the message.
> I think it's "too clever by half", which is why I've choosen not to
> switch mail$

How about switching mail whatevers (interfaces, configurations,
whatever) because our listowner says? :-)

> IMHO, plain text is plain text, and your mail client should be able
> to display$

It can...when it adheres to the standards (de-facto and de-jure).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca