[geeks] HD/IDE question

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 26 19:00:55 CDT 2006

Wed, 27 Sep 2006 @ 00:01 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 04:00:47PM -0400, velociraptor wrote:
>
> > The two things that I think will be the hiccups for getting 100% off
> > of Windows are the lack of fully functional scanner driver under
> > Linux/Mac OS X for my current scanner and Adobe Acrobat.
>
> IMHO don't waste your money, Linux is not a good gaming platform.

Just some nitpicking:

Linux is an *EXCELLENT* gaming platform, better than Windows.

Publishers simply don't support it.

Every game that has been ported runs better under Linux.

> As for device drivers, Windows has both far more drivers than Linux,
> or MacOS (Intel) ever will, and unlike Linus Torvalds, Bill Gates
> actually wants the old stuff to run on new systems and does not
> arbitrarily cut of support for older driver architechures.

Must be something about Israel, because in the USA Microsoft does this
all the time.

> While I'm a great supporter of Linux and other open source software, I
> also think a lot of the Macintosh and don't resent having to use
> Windows when I do. To me they are all means to an end, and like any
> tool, each has their own best uses.

Windows does not have any best uses at all.

The *ONLY* reason to use it is when you are forced to.

Linux, Solaris, MacOS X, MVS, etc... they all have truly useful
properties that make them uniquely useful.

> Personaly, I think if you are going to spend a lot of money on games,
> buy a high end computer and video card for it, you might as well spend the
> money on a copy of Windows. Even if the only thing you ever use it for
> is to run games.

Actually, buying a decent copy of Windows sets you back $300 these days.

That's a huge fraction of good gaming hardware these days.

It's also a matter of comparitive value.

Compare the price of Windows to MacOS X or the more expensive Linux
systems.

Windows offers a fraction of the features, but has roughly three times
the price.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall