[geeks] HD/IDE question

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 26 18:41:36 CDT 2006

Tue, 26 Sep 2006 @ 11:25 -0400, Sridhar Ayengar said:

> > 20% hit... I'd expect that, but not a half-speed hit, with reading being
> > slower than journaled writing.
> >
> > Next time I go to Windows, I'll try to properly time this.
>
> If you would, also time Ext2 vs. NTFS under Windows.  It might help to
> get that perspective in order to further isolate the inherent filesystem
> latency under Windows.

That test would be meaningless.  I didn't give details before, so
here goes:

I have a single NTFS drive, ATA, while Linux lives on SCSI and SATA
drives.

All of my ext2->ntfs copies are dual drive, while any NTFS->NTFS tests I
could run would be single drive.  All things being equal and adequate,
dual drive copies are roughly twice as fast.  I don't see how the
comparison would mean anything.

It would make more sense to compare ext2->ext2 and ext2->ntfs since both
(can) involve two drives.

Technically, even that also shows differences between drives and
controllers, but from Linux I can copy from NTFS to ext2 faster as well,
so while that's the opposite direction, it is at least the same hardware
path.  I don't want to enable NTFS writing, though some say it is OK.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall