[geeks] HD/IDE question

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 26 10:09:43 CDT 2006

Tue, 26 Sep 2006 @ 10:49 -0400, Sridhar Ayengar said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> >> I agree that ext2 appears to be the only choice.  I haven't tried it
> >> under Windows yet, but it works fine under NetBSD.
> >
> > Just one caveat: I've found that Windows is very slow when reading ext2,
> > either with the filesystem drivers, or the userland program.
> >
> > Anyone know why?
> >
> > Or is it just Windows being slower in general that I'm seeing?
>
> What sort of percentage slower are you seeing?  More like 10% or more
> like 50%?

I would have to benchmark to know for sure.

Basically I can write ext2 files in Linux about 1.5-2 times as fast as
the Windows side can read them.  Keep in mind the Linux side is using
ext3, which means writing journaled data.

That just seems a bit off.

20% hit... I'd expect that, but not a half-speed hit, with reading being
slower than journaled writing.

Next time I go to Windows, I'll try to properly time this.

It's not a big deal, since I use it only rarely, but if I can speed it
up that would be nice.

If I can't speed it up, I'd at least like to know why.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There are nowadays professors of
philosophy, but not philosophers." ]